It's a night-time event that celebrates the rich variety of Auckland's art and culture.
Saturday 14 March, 2015, 6pm to midnight
Auckland Arts Festival’s one-night arts extravaganza White Night is back!
Dress up, dress down, dress in your nightgown and take to the city streets for one special night of arts festivities, surprises, performances and unexpected encounters all around town, FREE!*
All across town, inside and outside at over 100 venues and locations, artists, performers, musicians and makers of all description invite you to inspect, experience, watch, see, make and touch all sorts of wonderful creations. On White Night, galleries, squares, laneways and promenades, from north to south, east to west are free to explore until very, very late.
Shed light on your White Night with our web app
For 2015, we’re delighted to launch the free White Night web app, designed by our friends at Salted Herring Digital and Brand. The web app allows you to make the very, very most of every minute of your White Night.
With the web app, you can use your PC, tablet or mobile to:
- add your favourite events to ‘MyNight’,
- filter events by start-time, name, area and theme
- search for events by key-words
- find events on the map
- share events with your friends
As well as the web app, we’ve put on free buses for White Night-goers to help you get from A to Z to C to X and back. See our Transport page for details. You’ll be in for a treat!
White Night is a city-wide night of the arts which originated in Europe and has spread to cities around the globe, , including Cairo, Berlin, Barcelona, Melbourne, to name but a few. The name ‘White Night’ derives from the Parisian event nuit blanche (literally, night white; figuratively, a sleepless night, referring to the fact some venues in the international versions of this event stay open until 7am!).
White Night was held in New Zealand for the first time in 2011 as part of the Auckland Arts Festival, then again in 2013. We received overwhelming feedback from participants and audience, who said the event was “Ah-maaaazing!” and “made you fall in love with your city again”.
* Minor exceptions apply. Details on this web app are correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change. Individual companies reserve the right to vary the programme and prices should the need arise. Check with the venue to avoid disappointment. Auckland Arts Festival takes no responsibility for the activities, events or exhibitions held by the companies featured in this publication. Audience participates in activities at their own risk. All bus times are approximate and the buses will stop as required: please make yourself visible to the driver.